In refugee camps, hospitals, and villages
around the world, gifts of layettes convey a
warm welcome to newborns and their
Include the following items in each layette:
- Two shirts
- Two gowns or sleepers
- Two receiving blankets
- Four cloth diapers
- One sweater
- Two washcloths
- One bath-size bar of soap
- Two diaper pins
- Wrap items in one of the receiving
blankets and secure with diaper pins.
- Good gently used items can be
substituted for new ones. Sizes up to 24
months may be used.
- Sweaters may be knitted or crocheted
from leftover yam. They may also be
made from heavy double knits.
Preferred styles have buttons or ties
down the front. Infant sweatshirts may
be substituted for the sweater.
- A bolt of flannel can furnish a number of
receiving blankets, diapers, and gowns.
A square cut the width of fabric (Usually
36" or 45") easily makes a blanket.
- Diapers can be made by using a pinking
shears to cut pieces 22 1/2" wide X 36"